Recognising and reflecting on Module 1

In module 1, I was able to reflect on my prior knowledge by acknowledging what I had gained through my experience as a teacher and an academic learner. I made the following discoveries about myself including 


  • I wasn’t aware of how much I had achieved in a relatively short time in my life 
  • I wasn’t aware of the running theme of value and purpose in dance in education that resonated through the various jobs I had taken.
  • I had opted for the same job roles but across different organisations and educational settings. Although I quickly made the decision about where my career priorities were
  • I always thought my academic and intellectual side outweighed the practical and experiential side, when actually the evidence suggested my entrepreneurial approach and practical skills in applying knowledge seem to be at the forefront of my learning 
  • I became more aware of my preferences as a learner and why I learn, teach and exist in a certain way. I am inquisitive by nature and am drawn to the WHY and do not take facts and answers at face value. Previous academic study has led me to question opposing viewpoints, argue for and against to find evidence, prove theories and answer questions. I like to have all the facts and answers before I consider my thoughts/opinions.
  • This is passed through to my teaching where I use different tools and ways of imparting knowledge to the students.
  • To consider how the experience of ‘doing’ can provide knowledge and is accepted and valid as opposed to traditional views of education as academic, knowledge based, information gathering.
  • In hindsight I have learnt the most from my own experience as a teacher and from the CPD I have done along the way, although I haven’t reflected on this consciously until starting this course. My reflection has always been unconscious and my actions and steps forward have been made without thinking through the WHY. Instead these influences as such if resonated with me and helped shape my teaching. how I teach is reflected by my experience and my own personality. I take with me, my own journey and this effects the way in which I teach, learn and perceive the world. After all experience is knowledge and knowledge is power

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TASK 1 - Exploring notions of knowledge, certainty and body positivism

Bringing ideas together

Exploring Methods and Methodologies